Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Oh what a night

Last night sucked. Like really really sucked. I was woken every two hours for blood pressure and temps, but then I'd lay awake with nausea and pain. They had given me Zofran intravenously, but it didn't help. By 2am they gave me some other stronger meds for sickness. And morphine dripped most of the night, but that may have been making me worse. By 4am I cut out the drugs. 7am I took a Tylenol with codeine, and will take the 2nd one in a few minutes, once I make sure this stays down.

Another awful thing was having to use a bed pan...gross. And my poor husband stood by my side the entire time. It overflowed onto the bed, which resulted in needing all the sheets changed, my lovely gown changed, etc. And that, my friends, is what started the vomiting. After being bumped and jostled for those few minutes, my body couldn't calm down. I just kept throwing up liquids. within a few hours, everything seemed to settle, but I still feel slightly dizzy.

On a positive note, I should be able to come home later this afternoon. They want to make sure I can eat and keep things down, and be able to move around safely by myself. Just ate some vanilla pudding and it seemed to go down okay. I tried a saltine cracker, but it hurts to chew.

One thing that surprises me is the amount of male nurses here. Both of my main nurses are male, and while very nice and helpful, it makes for an uncomfortable potty situation. Speaking of which, it's amazing how much fluid is coming through this IV bc I have to use the restroom every 2 hours. And with my low blood pressure issues, I have to start sitting up about 15 minutes before I can get out of bed.

Side note- My room overlooks the Football stadium (UofPenn??), and I can see the Philly skyline through some morning fog.

Ps- thank you all for the positive comments, thoughts and prayers. While I don't have the strength to reply to all of them personally right now, know that your words bring a smile to my face. And for Marcus- that smiling picture was taken for you.., thank you for your optimism :)

**edited by Tim - It is a pretty cool view:

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything went well (but I'm sorry for the nausea and pain!). You look beautiful and soon you'll feel that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got a room with a view! I'm sorry you had a horrible night and had to pee in a bedpan...they should have just given you a catheter. Kudos to Tim for helping you through all that. I hope you didn't have him take any pictures of your soiled bed sheets for the blog...that's one visual we can do without :) Enjoy the pudding & jello and get some rest. Talk to you later today. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! Glad to hear you're coming home. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look incredible! sorry you had a crappy night...hopefully you're feeling better and better as the day goes on! so glad everything well and that it's all over!!!

    ReplyDelete