Friday, September 30, 2011

10 days post-op

Finally feeling a bit more like my old self again at this 10 day mark. Yesterday the pain was about a 1, with some random streaks up to about a 3 when I'd move a certain way. I took 1 extra-strength Tylenol when I woke up, along with my bp medicine (Florinef), and 1 at dinner, along with the bp meds again. That's it. Just two pain pills to get through the entire day/night. This morning I haven't taken anything for pain. And my plan is to get through the entire day with nothing, but will most likely take one before bed. And if that works, tomorrow I may be off the pain meds entirely. Seems like I may be getting somewhere....

On Wednesday I removed one of the steri-strips - the horizontal one that ran under my ear. Although it was already beginning to come off on one end, it was pretty snug the rest of the way, so I had to pull it off. Not a good thing - for the incision or the pain involved. And I'm not even sure why I did that, other than I thought it would have come off easier. After that shooting pain, I decided to keep the others on until (1) they fall off on their own, or (2) I go back to the doctor. I've got a follow-up appointment scheduled for this coming Monday, and will have the stitches removed at that time too.

Each day I feel stronger and stronger, and yesterday I managed to walk around a few blocks in our neighborhood with my daughter. It felt great to get outside and enjoy the fresh fall air, but I definitely felt sore when we returned home. However, it wasn't sore in the sense of the surgery, just sore in the sense that I have barely stepped out of the house in the past 10 days. My body ached, and my back could seriously use an adjustment after all this side sleeping/laying.

Last evening I kicked a ball back and forth with my son for about 20 minutes, and again, it felt great to be outside and playing with my kids again. I couldn't move too fast, but I was able to keep up with him. And by the time we went to bed, I was surprised my body wasn't crippled.

While I am unable to fill the coffeemaker with water, I can now pour my own cup of coffee. I may not be able to lift a pot full of water to the stove, but I can at least pull an empty pot from the cabinets and set it in the sink for Tim to fill. And I cannot lift the wet clothes from the washer to the dryer, but I can empty the dryer and fold the clean laundry. Glad I've got my husband around to help with all of these things - teamwork is a great thing. I'm also very thankful for the quick healing (if you could call this quick), because I miss my old life tremendously.

The problem that I am certain to have for months, if not years, is all the nerve damage in and around the incision. It will most likely forever tingle; not quite numb, but not quite normal. But maybe someday I'll get used to it. And hopefully soon it will heal enough so I can get back to the gym and back into my old routine. Or perhaps it will be time to start a new routine...

Slow and steady wins the race. Or so my brother-in-law reminds me.

1 comment:

  1. Am I the only one who doesn't believe that Kym can keep up with Colin? I can barely keep up with him. That kid is fast!

    ReplyDelete