Tuesday, September 27, 2011

1 week post-op

Today marks one week since the tumor was removed, and I am so thankful this week is now behind me. To say it was tough would be an understatement. It was hell for me, and I'm sure those around me felt the same as I laid around and did absolutely nothing but grouch and grumble in pain.

I posted a 1 week photo here. You can see the bruising down my neck still.


Pain Management:

  • I'm currently taking 1 extra strength Tylenol every 4-5 hours during the day, and 2 at night before I go to sleep. 
  • I also take 1 4mg Zofran every 8 hours to help with the nausea I'm still experiencing.
  • And I am back on my blood pressure medicine, so I take 0.1mg Florinef 2x/day. Once this kicks back in, I'm hoping the nausea and dizziness goes away. I'm thinking once the heavier drugs were out of my system, my super low blood pressure (90/60) was keeping this nauseous feeling around.
 Pain:
  • The lower part of my right ear is still numb, and it tingles in pain if I roll onto it or lean into it.
  • My neck is still tight, bruised, and sadly I look like a beaten housewife.
  • Most of the right side of my face hurts to the touch, and there's a spot near my right eyebrow that sends shooting pain when touched. I notice this mostly when I'm washing my face, or standing in the shower - the water falling on it really causes me to wince.
  • The itching around the incision isn't as bad as it was the other day. However, the steri-strips are still intact, and are starting to curl. When I gently pulled on one, it hurt like a you-know-what, so on they remain, disgusting as all get out.
  • My jaw still hurts, and the pain radiates across my entire jaw now, but mostly when I am resting on my side. I've been trying to sleep on my back more, but the snoring will likely drive Tim to the couch.
  • I started using my Sonicare toothbrush two nights ago, as I was too lazy to go back downstairs to get the regular one. The pain is ever-so-light, so I bear with it.
  • I will surely need to visit the chiropractor in a few weeks, as all this side-laying has done a number on my back.
Life:
  • I slept in my own bed last night, and it felt great.
  • I'm eating semi-soft foods now, and I've never craved buffalo chicken dip so badly. My diet consists of mainly soft pasta, oatmeal, breakfast bars, goldfish and yogurt. But unfortunately that doesn't cut it for the rest of my family, so they've had to fend for themselves now that all the generous food offers have been gobbled up.
  • I am unable to turn my neck to the right very much, but am able to twist a little more to the left (almost to my shoulder). And I can ever-so-slightly nod my head up and down. The muscles are all still tight, but I can feel them stretching more each day.
Little by little... step by step... I will get back to my old self!

3 comments:

  1. Your scars are very minimal on the last picture. You look great! Take one day at a time. Love, ya FiFi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently found your blog. I had my partoid gland I believe all of it removed just over a week ago. Im still not feeling back to my old self. Reading how you were able to go out and walk and run at two weeks inspires me. I am not much of a runner. But I haven't done much. When I do it usually ends badly for me. I end up exhausted. I don't know how you have been able to stop all yours when you did. Good for you. I myself are still taking two hydros at bedtime and taking tylenol and ibrophen alternating when I remember. As ive been home I have noticed these last couple nights i've had more pain at night in my face. And suddenly more naseousness. I guess how do you stay awake and engergized to deal with what your going through and life? I'm going to have to apply for disability but I barely have the energy or ambition to do anything and when I do I end up paying for it instead. (being in pain)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,

      I'm so sorry it's taken so long to get back to you! How are you making out now from the surgery? I do hope the nausea has subsided and some of the pain in your face has gone away.

      It was really hard recovering, but I took a few weeks off work and just lounged around all day. It was incredibly boring, I do remember that. It wasn't like I was home and wanted to clean or organize closets or drawers... I truly just laid on the couch or in the recliner.

      Take it easy for a few weeks and let your body start to heal. Always easier said than done, as you read how I so badly wanted to get back out and jog again. I'm currently recovering from wisdom tooth surgery (5 days ago), and it's driving me absolutely bonkers to have the swelling in my face and the pain all day and night. But I am having to constantly remind myself it's okay to cry and be upset about how this hurts and how I look right now (fat cheek and lip), but that it will get better. Healing takes time, it doesn't happen overnight.

      Now I do hope you come back here and update us on your recovery. Praying you are doing well, and you have a wonderful holiday with your family.

      xoxox,
      Kym

      Delete