Saturday, October 8, 2011

Odd little spasms

It's 12:15am amd I'm lying in bed, wide awake. Mind you, I've been asleep since about 9 when the kids went to bed, so it's a little bothersome to be awake right now. And let's not forget that the Phillies just ended their season, so I didn't wake up to a happy-to-see-me husband. So here's the deal...

As I'm lying here, my right cheek is going into spasms. Like little muscle or nerve spasms. I had read this happens often over the next six months, as the nerves begin healing and try to connect. I can only hope the nerve going to my ear, the one that had to be severed, fuses back together correctly. For some, it doesn't go back together. For others it fuses with a nearby sweat gland, and you sweat while chewing, causing a few drops of sweat to pour out the side of your cheek or neck; a condition known as Frey's Syndrome. And for perhaps a very lucky few, the nerve regenerates perfectly (although I truly think these people may not have had the entire nerve severed during surgery).

Who knows what my future holds. But for now, I lay here in pain while my cheek twitches away. I sure hope the nerves decide to take a break and get some rest for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment