Thursday, October 13, 2011

3 weeks post-op

I'm 2 days late in writing this 3 week update, but I guess it's better late than never, right? This past week has definitely felt the longest, but I'm glad it's now behind me. And I suppose it can only go up from here.

I'll start off with the good - I have run two days in a row now, just about a mile each day. Today my kids rode their bikes with me, and at times I was able to stay ahead of my little guy, but never once was I able to pass my daughter. That's okay though, I'm happy just knowing I made it without stopping or slowing down.

I've been taking a Tylenol or Advil (or two) throughout the days, and usually right before bed, just to help with some of the pain. It's mostly self-induced though, as I've been pushing myself to go beyond what I did the previous day. The pain is mostly a sore neck from stretching or doing too much lifting (laundry, games with kids, etc), and I've been waking up frequently at night with pains down the side of my face.

Several times a day I sit and stretch my neck - up and down, side to side, then tilted both ways. I can turn pretty good to the left, but it's still tight. And it's definitely painful when I try to turn to the right. Not as tight, since I'm not stretching the muscles that were cut, but I think the pain is what stops me from turning it too much. While it's getting better, and yes, I do see some progress, it's not as much as I'd like to see at this point. You know me and patience.

The incision itself seems to be healing nicely; you can't even notice the part along the front of my ear. However, there's still a lump at the base of my ear, about an inch by a half inch, where the tumor was located. I'm not sure if it's still just swelling from where he removed the tumor and part of the parotid gland, or if it's a sac of salivary fluid that's drained from the opened gland. Or it could very well be a bit of both. It's pretty hard, and incredibly painful to the touch.

My upper neck is still very sore, as is my pretty much the entire right half of my jaw. It's also still swollen, which I can see, but most people say they can't even notice. Either they're just trying to be nice, or I can hide it pretty good when I wear my hair down. Again, those who know me, know I'm a pony tail type of gal, so it's hard to keep it covered. I'll try to remember to take a regular photograph from the front tomorrow, and maybe you can give me your thoughts.

Also, that darn "numbness, but not quite numbness" is still going on with the bottom half of my right ear. I guess maybe a better comparison would be to say it feels like it fell asleep. Quite annoying though, because no matter how much it itches (and it does, for hours on end sometimes), I itch it, yet I can't even feel my fingers scratching or pinching it. Many people say they grow used to this feeling, but it's driving me nuts. Every time I roll over onto a pillow, or turn my head while sitting on the couch, I wonder how one could ever learn to live with this.

Oh, and let's not forget about that stinkin' stitch that's still sticking out from the top of the incision. Speaking of driving me nuts.... it gets caught on the washcloth every time I wash my face. Annoying. Definitely annoying. I'm accepting bets as to when it may ever actually dissolve or fall off.

Aside from all of this, I've got to add a personal note here. Our family and friends have been so generous with meals, helping with the kids, and lots and lots of support, and it really means the world to us to have each of you in our lives. Even our friends across the miles (Melissa!) - I could not get through each day without your positive outlook reminding me that it will get better. Thank you.

Thank you to each and every one of you, for all that you've done. And especially thank you for all of the prayers and good thoughts. We've got the most amazing support system, and are so blessed to have you in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment