Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Back to the grind

I started back to work yesterday, and it felt great! Although, by "back to work" I mean "working from home", and I only lasted five hours. But, regardless of the location, it was nice to get back into more of my old routine. What was once a normal old laptop seemed to be quite a heavy piece of technology yesterday morning when I unzipped my bag and tried to lift it with my right hand. I quickly grabbed a hold with my left hand as well, and proceeded to spend the next two hours trying to connect to the network. After numerous calls to different IT folks, I was finally granted access around 11am. What a waste of a morning!

But this brings up one point I don't think I've mentioned on here yet - how little strength I have in my right arm these days. The surgery was the right side of my face and neck, so it's only normal to expect some pain on the right side of my body. But I truly didn't expect to still be struggling so much two weeks after the surgery. I went to grab a full gallon of milk this morning from the fridge, and without thinking I grabbed it with my right hand. It no sooner slid off the shelf before I realized I was unable to hold it with just one hand. Thankfully my left hand was empty, otherwise there would have been milk all over the floor.

I made it through my second day of work today, and managed to put in 7.5 hours. The weather is beautiful here in Pennsylvania, and I'm hoping to get outside and go for a walk with my kids again tonight. Last night after dinner I walked around the entire neighborhood (about 3/4 of a mile), while the kids rode their bikes. I definitely slowed them down, and they definitely let me know it, but I'm hoping I may be able to pick up the pace some tonight. Perhaps even jog for a few houses or so.

So when I'm whining about the pain tomorrow, you'll know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment