Saturday, September 14, 2019

Hard to believe it's been 8 years

It's been 8 years since I had the surgery to remove the benign pleomorphic adenoma that was growing on my right parotid gland in my jaw. 8 years. And as I look back on this blog, I am so happy I documented my recovery to go back and remember what I went through, and to help others who may be recently diagnosed, contemplating surgery, or recovering from undergoing surgery.

8 years. And I would do it all over again if I found out I had another pleomorphic adenoma growing in my face or neck.

I honestly haven't given any thought to my jaw/neck or the surgery in a few years. I can barely see the scars - Dr. Ara Chalian did an amazing job - and I don't have any pains, tingling, or other lingering issues.

Now, I have to admit, I don't eat sour candies or food because I know that may cause a tingling in the right side of my face as it stimulates the area of the surgery. But I certainly don't miss it or think twice about it.

The area is no longer prone to pain during cold weather, as it was the first few years after surgery. And I can wear earmuffs, headphones, etc with no problems whatsoever.

If you're contemplating surgery, seek multiple opinions and talk to several surgeons. Don't rush the decision. But also don't procrastinate and risk it developing into something else or causing problems in your body. 

That's all the update I have for you. Just wanted to provide something since I just realized it will be 8 years this coming week, and I haven't updated this website in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment